Why You May Need Dental Implants
If you’ve recently had an accident that has damaged a tooth, ineffective dentures, or just want to see your smile rejuvenated, choosing dental implants is a sure way of bringing those white teeth back to life. Additionally, you may consider them if you need the following:
- To replace your teeth without affecting the adjacent teeth
- To maintain your youthful appearance
- To get your smile and self-confidence back
- To avoid biting irregularities that can be triggered by tooth loss
- To prevent erosion of your jawbone
- To restore your speech and chewing ability
Your orthodontist will examine your mouth carefully, taking x-rays of your teeth, gum, and jawbone to establish your eligibility for the dental implant procedure. S/he will then make a mold of your natural teeth, taking into account their shape, size, and shade. The mold will be used to customise your artificial teeth so that they can simulate the natural ones.
- Single tooth replacement – The surgeon will install a dental implant surgically into the jawbone underneath the gum tissue. The implant will Osseo-integrates in the bone and gum, then an implant crown is placed on the top to resemble an actual tooth. The orthodontist may recommend a diet of soft foods until you’ve fully recovered.
- Fixed-bridge on implant– In this scenario, the teeth are usually replaced with eight or more dental implants attached to a fixed bridge in the upper or lower jaw. It normally takes 2-3 visits to have the bridge completely attached.
- Support for dentures –When replacing the entire set of teeth, a fixed bridge is attached to support the removable dentures and provide better function and comfort.